Place de l'église, Champagny-sous-Uxelles, Southern Burgundy, France.

Champagny-sous-Uxelles (some local history)

Champagny-sous-Uxelles remains a farming village although it is popular with French, Swiss and Belgium’s for second or holiday homes. The commune was originally part of nearby Colombier-sous-Uxelles but was allowed to form a commune in its own right in 1865. In anticipation of increasing prosperity and the population rising to 300 people the Mairie and School, Cemetery, Priests House and the Church had to be constructed. The church was completed around 1880 and the population started to grow to a peek in 1910 when we think some of these old pictures were taken. The horrors if the 1914/18 war seam to have triggered the decline when many of the men failed to return home. 

Image description
Image description
Image description
Image description

Thanks to neighbours sparking our interest in local history with these old picture postcards we are able to compare the changes over about 100 years. Above you can just see the highest roof (between the top of the cross and church) is the main roof of our house. The buildings in front were demolished around 1930 to make way for our large barn. Pictures taken from our first floor window show the difference over about 100 years.

Image description

The School was an integral part of the Mairie. We are told that the picture of the children dates from 1950’s and the village school closed in 1970. The former school room is now used as a communal meeting room. 

Image description
Image description
Image description
Image description

Approach from the north-west and its not always sunshine in Champagny

Image description
Image description
Image description
Image description

GRAND RUE SHOWN IN THE EARLY 1900's & NOW IN THE EARLY 2000's

In establishing the date of the older photographs we see that there is a pile of stones where the Lavoir had been. Looking closely at the two pictures (BELOW) it is possible to see the addition electricity poles and records show that electricity was brought to the village in 1910 shortly after the upgrading of the water supply had made the old Lavoir obsolete.

Image description
Image description
Image description

The aerial view (left) of Place de L’eglise was probably taken around 1990. In 2013 new street names and house numbers were adopted in many French villages although it could be some time before they will appear on navigation systems.